XWin Icon Fidelity

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sun Jun 1 20:05:00 GMT 2003

Colin,

I looked at the X icon once in an icon editor on my friend's TiBook.
Recall that an icon file stores several different sizes and depths of
icons.  The problem with the X icon that we have is that the masks on a
lot of the depths/sizes are exposing too much area and a lot of that
area has wonky coloring in it.  That wonky/antialiased coloring comes
when you upsize an icon from, say, 256 colors to true color.  You then
have to go back in and get rid of a lot of the antialiasing and shrink
the mask back down.

I just recently (last night) found a free icon editor for windows that
does the trick.  I may see if I can clean up our X icon eventually.

Harold