X icon

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Jun 2 18:31:00 GMT 2003

Lev,

Lev Bishop wrote:

> Harold,
>
> Harold wrote:
>
>>Microsoft never comes right out and says what bloody size *all* icons
>>are supposed to be in the various places in Windows. The nearest I have
>>ever been able to find is the following:
>

> So from what I understand there are 4 sizes used by windows.
> "{system|shell} {small|large}". For our purposes we only care about the
> "system" sizes. ("shell small" is used in explorer and shell dialogs,
> "shell large" on the desktop and one or other of these goes on the start
> menu).
>
> "System small" is what gets used for window titlebars & the system tray
> and *the user can change it* at will by configuring the "caption buttons"
> size in the "advanced" dialog of "display properties"->"appearance".
>
> "System large" is what goes in the alt-tab dialog, and the size is
> determined *by your video driver*. Possibly that gets changed depending on
> the "dpi" setting of the video driver, I'm not sure.
>
> You can find out the current settings for these system sizes using
> GetSystemMetrics.

Okay, I used SM_CXSMICON and SM_CYSMICON for determining the size of the
icon to load for the system tray in 4.2.0-42 (Test91).  That seems
correct according to the MSDN doc cited below.

On the other hand, the 24 x 24 icon I made looks like crap.  I just
realized that my notebook uses 24 x 24 small icons because I am running
it with 120 dpi fonts.  I should have looked at the icon on here first,
cause it really is obviously garbage.  Then again, it looks like there
are green pixels in the 24 x 24 icon when I magnify it... which I
distinctly remember going through and removing after scaling the 32 x 32
icon down to 24 x 24.  I wonder if the wrong size icon is still being
loaded on my notebook and being manually scaled by Windows to 24 x 24,
thus reintroducing the green pixels.

> Here's one msdn doc:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/resources/icons/abouticons.asp

That is the doc I was looking for!  I haven't found that in months of
searching for it.  I can't believe I missed it.  Thanks for pointing me
there.