Multiwindow request

Earle F. Philhower III earle@ziplabel.com
Tue Jun 3 03:38:00 GMT 2003

Hola Igor...
At 11:29 PM 6/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>However, your statement about the display number is only correct if you
>run the X server with default options (and then you can always use
>"localhost:0.0").  IIRC, you can run *multiple* X servers on different
>displays (which would result in different screen numbers, e.g., 1.0).
>Even with Exceed you can create multiple screens (in the same X server,
>though).
>With Exceed (Xstart, rather) you can actually pass "@d" as the display
>value, which gets substituted by the number of the current screen (not
>sure how, though).  If you hard-code the display value into the shortcut,
>it won't work for people with multiple screens.

Yeah, xstart was what I was thinking of.  I think rexec'll get the same
results, though.

>The idea with the X client was that you could run one of them per screen,
>and then the application run from the appropriate section of the root menu
>(added by the corresponding client) would be opened on the corresponding
>screen.  For example, suppose the client adds a sub-menu named "Root Menu
>for Screen #", where "#" is the screen number that it's running on, to the
>desktop context menu.  So, if you have 3 screens, you'll have "Root Menu
>for Screen 0" through "Root Menu for Screen 2", and if you select the
>xterm entry from the first one, you'll get an xterm on screen 0
>("localhost:0.0"), and so on.  This client could be automatically started
>when multiwindow mode is used...

I am still at a loss as to what you gain by running multiple XWin instances
in multiwindow mode.  What does that buy you?  I mean, how can you tell that
some random window is on Xwin multiwin server 1 vs. 2?  If some are fullscreen,
then you're running a WM in that screen anyway, right, with its own root menu?
I'm not trying to be facetious, I use X 24-7 to a bunch of servers on my 3 head
work PC to do my job and really haven't ever come upon a case where I needed
or wanted this so I'm intrigued.

Well, I guess in the end it's all up to what people feel like writing, and what
can be integrated into the Windoze shell.  If you can find a way of reliably
getting a hold of the raw desktop menu, you can add it.  That's the nice thing
about open source...

-Earle F. Philhower, III
  earle@ziplabel.com
  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel