X server acting funny when displaying remote KDE session

Stefan Heinzmann stefan_heinzmann@yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 16:08:00 GMT 2003

 --- Alexander Gottwald
<alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de> schrieb: > On Wed,
18 Jun 2003, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> > o  The key table for the combinations using the right ALT
> key
> > is wrong. (Apparently both under cygwin and Linux).
>
> there are no extra mappings defined for the alt key. You'll
> have to add
> them manually to the keymap.

The more I try the more I get confused.

I tried xev a bit more and found that when the mouse is over
the white square then the keypresses show up as events in the
protocol window. The Alt key shows up separately, no umlauts
are shown. Left Alt key and right Alt key are separate.

When the mouse is over the protocol window then I get the
reaction I described earlier, with the wrong special
characters being generated when combined with the Alt-key
(left and right Alt key are acting the same).

As I already said: Alt-q doesn't produce any result in Kedit.

When I open a Konsole window in KDE and start xev there I get
a different result when typing Alt-q: ^[q

The latter may be because of bash/readline, but why is it
diffedrent in Konsole from a shell window outside KDE? AFAIK
the same shell is running there. Is it really that bad that
every individual utility has its own way of dealing with
special characters? What a nightmare that would be!

But before we drift off-topic back to xfree: I had a look
into /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us_intl and the comments claim that
there are lots of dead-keys which I don't get. I don't
understand the format of the file well, and I don't know
where it is documented, but it seems that each key has 4
alternatives assigned to it, presumably
unshifted/shift/alt/alt-shift.

If that's true then my Alt keys aren't working as intended.

Anyway, I don't feel I have the knowledge to solve this
problem. It may well be then that under X there's no standard
keyboard layout that mirrors the US-international in Windows.
It would be a pity. Who would be responsible for creating one
(for the world, not just for me)?

Cheers
Stefan