X server acting funny when displaying remote KDE session

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Jun 18 17:54:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Stefan Heinzmann wrote:

> So is it true that the layout I would like isn't currently
> available in Xfree86?

right.

> If so, wouldn't it be a good idea to
> add it to the standard distribution? Apart from the
> convenience for Windows users, I really think this layout is
> brilliant for both multi-language work and programming.

I'd support that. But someone (you?) has to create that map.

> > for the ä this would be
> >     key <AD01> { [ q, Q], [ adiaeresis, Adiaeresis ] };
>
> Well in this case the right Alt key on my keyboard isn't
> treated as Altgr, since I'm not getting the correct result
> for the second pair of entries.
>
> I have discovered that KDE has its own Keyboard layout
> configuration tool. It is fairly flexible, but I wonder
> whether anyone thought that through properly.

AFAIK KDE has the possibility to set the keyboard layout (which is
just a frontend to setxkbmap functionality) and to bind actions
to special keys.

> Setting the
> keyboard mapping in KDE means that I get the same mapping
> regardless whether I am logged in locally or remotely,
> irrespective of the actual keyboard that is connected. Here
> on my little network the Linux box has a german keyboard
> while the Windows/cygwin box has a US keyboard. And what good
> is it that you have to configure the keyboard in several
> different places? I think I need to post to the KDE mailing
> lists...

The first steps with international keyboard layouts were nearly
the same. We distributed static map for each layout which had to be
applied with xmodmap. For remote access (and access to the layout
in the login screen) we modified the xdm config scripts to load the
keymap on xdm startup. But the only real solution was the server
based setting via xkb.
But the KDE approach is closer to the desktop experience most
users had expected.

bye
	ago
--