rdesktop.exe session on an X-terminal?

Jeremy Wilkins jeb@jeremywilkins.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 11:57:00 GMT 2003

Michael,

If I've got this right:

You've got a Windows terminal server you want to access from X
terminals, using rdesktop.

As a test I've just grabbed the 1.2.0 sources from rdesktop.org,
compiled fine in cygwin with no changes.

I've got XP on my laptop so I turned on remote desktop support (same
idea as terminal server except exports current session rather then
spawning a new one for the connection).

I then started an X server on another machine with no access control
(xhost+, or -ac when starting Xwin).

I set the display variable under cmd.exe with 'set DISPLAY=aa.bb.cc.dd:0'

launched 'rdesktop.exe localhost'

Rdesktop popped up on the x server I'd started, and I could login into
my XP box (with rdesktop itself running from the XP box).

This seems to be what you want.

As I see it you've got 2 areas to work on;

i) getting Rdesktop running on your server (and displaying on the xterminal)
ii) figuring out how to remotely launch rdesktop from the xterminal -
either XDM session, or telnet.

jeb

PS: Email me to let me know if you get this going - its an idea I've
thought of myself before now.