opengl issue

Dominik Szczerba domi@vision.ee.ethz.ch
Tue Jun 24 14:47:00 GMT 2003

hi,

i just installed cygwin with xfree86 on my ibm laptop a31 with ati
radeon mobility 7500. i am able to run glxgears and compile my linux
opengl codes to use windows opengl and glut.

the problem is that I apparently get only software renderer for opengl
instead of dedicated acceleration (note: I installed IBM display
drivers) - because glxgears displays only ~400fps, whereas I used to get
1500fps on the same machine with linux.

is hardware acceleration not there by philosophy of cygwin/xfree86 or I
can download somewhere proper libraries for cygwin and my gfx card? I
see /lib/win32/*.a which I link against (-lopengl32 -lglu32 -lglut32),
but these I guess are shortcuts for software renderer.

I havebt found anything conclusive in docs, only some remarks of using
windows dll's - maybe that's the way? is there a way I can use hardware
acceleration that DOES EXIST on the system already?

Any comments would be more than welcome.
Thank you
Dominik

--
Dominik Szczerba, Dr.