4.2.0-26 multiwindow bug: closing apps causes repeated keystrokes

Pablo Halpern phalpern@halpernwightsoftware.com
Thu Mar 6 17:31:00 GMT 2003

I've been using -multiwindow -clipboard for a few weeks now.  I LOVE
IT!  Cygwin/Xfree86 is almost as good as Exceed now.  Despite being
"experimental" I've found both features to be fairly stable. Kudos to the
developers.

I want to report a reproducible problem when using the keyboard to close an
X application in multiwindow mode. The last keystroke sent to my closed
application is repeated over and over in every other X application
currently opened. This continues in each window until I give the window
focus and press another key.

To reproduce (This happens with XWin.exe version 4.2.0-26 on Windows 2000 SP2):

1. Run XWin.exe -multiwindow

2. Start an xterm

3. Cover the xterm with another, non-X window (this step is not always
necessary, but the bug is more reliably reproduced by doing this).

4. Start a second xterm.

5. Type "exit" followed by return into the second xterm. Its window will close.

6. Bring the first xterm to the front and give it focus.  The shell will
act as though someone is pressing and holding the return key.

7. Press the space bar. The repeating returns will stop.

I've tried this with xterm and emacs, in every combination. If you use ^D
to exit the xterm instead of "exit", then the ^D is sent to the other
windows, causing the other xterms to exit.  If you exit emacs with C-X C-C,
then the ^C is sent to the other X applications. If there is more than one
other app running, they all seem to get the repeated key. If you start
another app before handling the errant key, then the new app will also get
the repeated key event.

I've seen references in the mailing list archive of shells coming up acting
as if the return key were pressed. This is probably the same bug.

This does not happen in non-multiwindow mode.
This happens whether or not -clipboard is used.

P.S. Please Cc: me on any responses. I don't usually read the cygwin-xfree
mailing list (although I do read the cygwin-xfree-announce list).

P.P.S. Is there some way other than running cygwin setup that I can
determine the version of my XWin.exe program?

- Pablo

Pablo Halpern                       phalpern@halpernwightsoftware.com
Halpern-Wight Software, Inc.      http://www.halpernwightsoftware.com