Xv/XVideo?

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Mar 17 00:28:00 GMT 2003

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> Thor Johnson wrote:
>

>>Greetings (and mucho thanks for the -norestart option for Xhost oddities)!
>>
>>I have a new boneheaded question:
>>What is the difference between xv (as used in mplayer, ogle, etc) and
>>XVideo?
>

> I don't know it for sure, but it's the same. XVideo is an interface to the
> XServer to allow a fast display of video. With XVideo you can for example
> get access to the backend scaler of the graphicscard and let the graphicscard
> scale the video to fullscreen.
>
> But this depends on the used graphicscard and for each graphicscard you need
> a special driver, which we don't have for Cygwin/XFree86.

You know, we might be able to quite simply add such functionality... I
believe that DirectDraw exposes the scaling support of the video card.
Shoot, even the GDI blit function can accelerate scaling (if I recall
correctly).  Anyone care to find a few docs on what XVideo drivers must
provide (so I don't have to do all of the searching myself)?

Harold