xterm.exe not reading XTerm file in app-defaults

Daniel Daboul Daniel.Daboul@motorola.com
Mon Mar 17 09:53:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 12:32:21AM -0500, Bryan Crader wrote:
> I think i have run in to a similiar problem with XTerm not reading the
> app-defaults file.
> I've deleted the cygwin directory and reinstalled it several times, and
> sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't load up the XTerm defaults file.
> I then noticed that in the directory:
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/ there is a simlink 'app-defaults' that
> somtimes points to the /etc/X11/app-defaults/ directory, and sometimes it
> just points to /etc/X11/ if you remake the simlink to /etc/X11/app-defaults/
> it seems to load the XTerm file then.

Attempting to try how it works here, I found _two_ entries in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ both named app-defaults.  One the link to
/etc/X11/app-defaults/ and the second a real directory.  The directory
contained only one file "Mwm" and was shadowing (i.e. took precedence)
over the sym-link.  After removing that directory Xterm.exe definitely
reads its app-defaults file (and current user, as well as installing
user is non-admin). -- Daniel