Ref Win95 (98?) : Can't open display (FRQ) (Solution) & Speed problems

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Mar 17 14:39:00 GMT 2003

Brian,

Brian Linfoot wrote:
> 1.   FRQ and mail archive shows may iinstances of "Can't open display "
> on Win95 machines particularly laptops with no network connection.
> Apart from firewall problems suggested by FRQ another explanation is
> that the manufacturer (e.g. Dell) has  installed a minimum Win95 set up.
> To cure the problem run Microsoft Communication Wizard to install
> required  network software either from CD-ROM  or CD image. If no live
> network link is available you may need to ctrl-alt-delete to get out of
> MCW once it tries to test the (e.g. non-existing modem on IR ) link.
> Reboot and XWin, xterm etc  may now run.

Very interesting.  I had not yet heard of this.

> 2. Cygwin shows great increase in speed if  antivirus software (e.g.
> Network Associates V Shield) is temporarily switched off.

Yes, this is known.  The least performance-inhibiting software that I
have found so far is Norton Antivirus... it doesn't slow down
Cygwin/XFree86, and it only has a minor affect (5% slowdown) on
compiling Cygwin/XFree86 (which opens and closes thousands of files).
On the other hand, Network Associates V Shield slows compiling down
about 150% and generally makes the computer unusable.  Of course, I
don't run antivirus software when not forced to, cause I don't do stupid
things :)