KDE for CygWin?

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu May 1 20:42:00 GMT 2003

Charles,

You probably want to edit your startup script (startxwin.bat or
startxwin.sh) and comment out the line that starts twm.  You then want
to add the -multiwindow command-line parameter to XWin.exe.  That should
probably give you something more like you are looking for (uses an
integrated Windows-based window manager).

Yes, KDE is available for Cygwin, but it is huge and requires a
non-standard version of a couple components for Cygwin/XFree86 (XWin.exe
being one of them).  Check the Links page on xfree86.cygwin.com for more
information.  Remember that your other option is to use -query to open
an XDMCP session on a remote box (e.g. a Linux machine) and use whatever
window manager and apps that you want to on that machine (such as KDE,
Gnome, etc.).  This is usually a pretty good alternative if you are
using Cygwin/XFree86 primarily for running apps on a *nix box on the
same network as your own that already had a better window manager installed.

Hope that helps,

Harold