XWin design suggestion

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon May 5 02:30:00 GMT 2003

Sam,

Sam Edge wrote:
> Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote in
> <3EB5B5D2.4060909@msu.edu>
> in gmane.os.cygwin.xfree on Sun, 04 May 2003 20:52:34 -0400:
>

>>Yes, I have already thought of that one... and actually started some
>>work on it awhile ago.  In fact, my near-term plans for XWin.exe are to
>>add a couple registry settings to remember the position of the Exit
>>confirmation dialog box.  If that goes well, it will only be a matter of
>>time until more settings are registry enabled.
>

> At first reading I was of the opinion that stuff like this should be
> in POSIX-ish configuration files of one sort or another - a
> ".something" file or directory under each user's $HOME with default
> values under /etc - not in the registry under
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/<Organization>/<Application>" and
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ditto."
>
> On the other hand, I imagine that many people use XWin.exe as a sort
> of container application, with everything Cygwin/remote-X-client
> "inside" the X session/window(s) and everything Windows-y outside, so
> things like the confirmation dialog box are in some sense "outside"
> the POSIX realm.
>
> Oh heck. Indecision. Must be the hour of the day and the red wine. ;-D

I have spent a bit of time thinking of the different options here as
well.  In the end I think that this is a Windows application, not a *NIX
application, so it should follow Windows conventions not *NIX
conventions.  That's the way that I will code it... of course, patches
that implement functionality to read a .config file would probably be
applied, but I don't think I will be writing that code anytime soon :)