XWin design suggestion

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue May 6 23:29:00 GMT 2003

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> Wouldnt this be better if it accepts at least 2 ways to configure this
> ?
> (registry/Windows file/Cygwin file)
>
> After all XWin can check if its running on Cygwin or not.

Better?  Sure.

Doable?  Absolutely.

Unfortunately, this sort of bloat is what prevents people from ever
getting started on these tasks.  Such a design is so daunting that no
one dares start it for fear of getting swallowed alive.

So, the progression will go something like this:

1) Use the registry for some initial preference settings.

2) When people bitch, tell them to submit a patch :)

I think we have figured out some nice options, but it is time to get
coding and Alexander is right: the registry is damn simple for such
trivial stuff.  I am starting there, but I think this will eventually be
extended to support config files of multiple types.

Harold