webwasher and xfree

Michael Schaap cygwin@mscha.org
Sat May 10 13:24:00 GMT 2003

Kai wrote:

> Hi there...
> I am using cygwin and XFree on a win xp machine. I really am enjoying
> it normally. But the moment I start the webfiltering programm
> webwasher, everything under X runs really slowly, which is quite
> unnerving, because especially if I´m online (the moment the webwasher
> comes useful) I use X-forwarding to access a remote machine. It has
> nothing got to do with my computer, because all other
> windows-processes keep up working fine and there is also enough memory
> and power left. As webwasher works as a proxy-engine, it might be,
> that X and the webwasher are using some same port. I already changed
> the port webwasher is using from 8080 to 80, but that did not work, so
> my idea might or better seems to be wrong.
>
> Has anybody got any suggestions, what I could do?

You're probably using the "Configuration Free" mode of WebWasher,
right?  I tried that for a while, but had all sorts of problems, so
switched back to one of the other configuration modes.
I believe the "Configuration Free" mode does stuff at the network level,
so that could indeed cause the slowdowns you describe.  The other modes
work as a web proxy, so they should leave your non-browser network
traffic alone.

HTH,

 - Michael