Starting XWin in XDM mode with no console app?

Ruth Ivimey-Cook Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@ivimey.org
Wed May 14 22:59:00 GMT 2003

Folks,

I was wondering if there is any easy way around this issue. I normally use
XWin.exe in it's X-Terminal mode, connecting to an external Linux box. This
works fine, but the way I do it leaves a redundant Win32 console window open.

What I do is run:
    C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c "/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe -broadcast
-unixkill -fullscreen -dpi 100"

from a taskbar shortcut.

bash.exe is only needed because if omitted XWin.exe (or things it runs)
can't find various libraries (if I set the "Start In" dir to "\cygwin\bin",
I get complaints about libs in "\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin", for example).

However, running 'bash' creates itself a blank console window. The reason
running bash helps is, I assume, to do with setting up env vars in the
profile script.

Is there any "cure" for this, or should I just ignore it?

Thanks

Ruth