(no)deadkeys keyboard default setting

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon May 26 10:45:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> There is a small problem with the interaction between the German
> default keyboard detection and the XF86Config.  The German keyboard is
> defaulted to XkbVariant="nodeadkeys".  I wanted to reset that to
> XkbVariant="" in XF86Config, but that didn't work.  Turns out that the
> routines for parsing XF86Config in winconfig.c don't recognise empty
> strings.
>
> Changing OPTV_STRING to OPTV_ANYSTR in winSetStrOption() fixes the
> problem for me.

I'll take a look on it.

> Aside: I am not sure that the default XkbVariant="nodeadkeys" is a
> good idea.  It may be the default on other Unix systems, but it's
> certainly not the default on native Windows, so it's incompatible with
> other applications on the same desktop.

I think you're right. I'll remove the nodeadkeys again.

> Another question: The CVS version of XFree86 (plus the patched files
> from xwin-20030518-1426.tar.bz2) creates the DLLs with different names
> than the pre-installed package.  Is that intentional, have I missed
> some part of the docs?

This is wanted. We have dlls where the api has incompatible changed and
we have to provide both versions. Unfortunatly windows can not work with
versioned dll as most unix can do. So we changed the names of the produced
dlls to avoid name conflicts (eg libXaw-6 vs libXaw-7 or libXft-1 and libXft-2)

bye
	ago