problem: occasional keystroke doubling (a known issue?)

Jean-Claude Gervais jc.gervais@videotron.ca
Thu May 29 06:34:00 GMT 2003

From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com]On
Behalf Of Fries, David D

>I'm new to windows programming so I have no idea if you can tell
>windows you only want key down and up events, or if you can even
>detect and throw away the repeats and let X take care of them.
I say extend the window callback event procedure to handle the repeated
events, but ignore them: You'd probably get away with only returning 0 to
Windows and not call the default handler, to stop processing that event.
That's how you could throw away repeats.
>I've noticed that the modifiers under cygwin (control, alt, shift etc)
>show that they repeat under xev just like other keys where they don't
>on Linux.

I'd say that that is a mistake, because those keys are "qualifiers", and not
chars, so they are ineligible for repeats.
Interesting note: In Windows, you can obtain the state of the CRTL and ALT
keys at the moment the message you are processing was generated, and you can
alternatively obtain the state of the CTRL and ALT keys as they currently
are as you process the message.