xinit: The application has failed to start because cygfreetype-6.dll was not found.

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sun Nov 2 18:14:00 GMT 2003

Constantine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After I have updated my installation today, and when I am running xinit
> now, I get a Windows window with the message that "cygfreetype-6.dll was
> not found".
>
> After I did the following, everything worked again:
>
> cd /usr/X11R6/bin/
> cp cygfreetype-9.dll cygfreetype-6.dll

Constantine,

Hmm... I would appreciate it if you could help me to figure out what the
real problem is here.  The new XFree86-bin-4.3.0-7 package no longer
contains cygfreetype-9.dll, as this library is now distributed as part
of the freetype2/libfreetype26 package.  freetype2 defines the version
of the freetype2 library as '6' instead of the '9' that XFree86 was
using as the library version.  I added a copy of cygfreetype-9.dll to
the XFree86-lib-compat package for those that need the old library.

However, I want to know what application was failing in your xinit
scripts.  There should not be an application that requires
cygfreetype-9.dll in the default script.  Have you modified your script?
  What program are you launching that requires this DLL?  Are you
launching emacs?

I would like to get any old applications that use cygfreetype-9.dll rebuilt.

Thanks for testing,