Grabbing XFree86.org's xc/ tree using cvsup

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Nov 3 00:04:00 GMT 2003

Alexander,

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>

>>Another thing to keep in mind is how we want to do development.  It has
>>been suggested that we keep the HEAD branch in sync with XFree86.org and
>>that we do our development on another branch.  The question here is
>>whether cvsup can preserve a local branch of the code and still be used
>>to sync with XFree86.org.  I doubt that this is the case, since cvsup is
>>essentially mirroring the files, not branches/tags/etc.  Does this mean
>>that we must manually track XFree86.org and apply their patches after
>>the initial import?
>

> My suggestion is to import the current "stable" release into our CVS. With
> CVS we can later import the next release and merge all patches we have
> already commited. Fixing severe bugs is still an issue and might be solved
> by regulary importing the snapshots of the "stable" branch and by monitoring
> the XFree-commit list (I still read every posting on this list and would
> just pay more attention to security fixes)

Mike Harris had a good point that we should grab XFree86's CVS tree with
cvsup and use a perl script to change the root for all of the files.
Then we have both the current version of all files *and* the history of
all of those files.

He suggested using cvsps to generate patch sets.  He also suggested
doing our development on a branch, keeping HEAD more or less in sync
with XFree86.org CVS HEAD, and merge HEAD to our branch whenever
required (to get bug fixes, etc.).

> I doubt that a complete mirror of the XFree86 CVS is a good solution since
> there is no way (at least I konw of none) to automaticly track changes in
> the XFree86 repository and commit them to ours too. So importing the whole
> repository is in my opinion a waste of space since we'd have to import all
> old revisions from the XFree repository too.

I think Mike had a good point that it would be wise to have the history
of each file in the tree... what do you think?