XWin works on Win2K but not on some WinXP clients

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Nov 13 18:40:00 GMT 2003

Kirk,

Woellert, Kirk D. wrote:

> Ok, so you want me to do the following:
>
> telinit 3
> gdm -debug 10 -nodaemon
> W2K attempt login
> WinXP attempt login
>
> telinit 3
> kdm -debug 10 -nodaemon
> W2K attempt login
> WinXP attempt login

Yes, that is correct.

However, you should probably just reboot the machine, log in as root,
and run "ps -a | grep gdm" and "ps -a | grep kdm"  That will answer the
question as to which *dm is being used.  Then you only need to perform
one of the above tests.

> What log files and where should I go to examine the results of these two
> tests? The same etc/X11/gdm folder?

Depends on the above answer to which *dm is being used.  Lets get that
figured out first.

> BTW, does it help to tell you guys that the linux box is very likely running
> GNOME? If you can assume that how do we proceed?

Either *dm can login to KDE or Gnome... so knowing that most users use
Gnome doesn't really help :)