security, cvs, was Re: interface bindings of x-server

Alan Coopersmith Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
Wed Nov 19 19:34:00 GMT 2003

roland@webde wrote:
> the only chance to get rid of it, is to use unix domain socket (via -nolisten tcp)  OR to
> add the option, to specify the interface bindings and be able to bind it to local loopback
> ONLY. I`d prefer the second one.

Why?  What benefit does a TCP loopback connection provide over the Unix
domain socket (which is generally faster on most OS'es)?

> ahhhh - btw - i see:
> on http://www.tightvnc.com/changelog-unix.html
> Xvnc/programs/Xserver/hw/vnc/: init.c, rfb.h, sockets.c: Support for Xvnc -interface
> option added (patch from Tim Waught).
>
> feature seems to be in tightvnc already - so maybe we need just some code transfer (since vnc is xfree86
> based) ? ;)

Only if the original author of the tightvnc changes agrees to
distribute under the X license instead of tightvnc's GPL.

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-         alan.coopersmith@sun.com
	 Sun Microsystems, Inc.    -     Sun Software Group