Alt Gr keys are not functioning ?

Hans Dekker hans.dekker.ext@juntadeandalucia.es
Fri Nov 21 12:18:00 GMT 2003

Hi Henrik,

I had the same problem on systems running Linux & HP-Ux with a CDE/Xcdmp
session. It seems to me the 3rd key in the keyboard layout isn't mapped.

Check xmodmap -pk in a X-Window to see what's mapped on your keyboard.

You can use the following command to map a vertical bar to the AltGr 1,
for example.

xmodmap -e "Keycode 113 = Mode_switch"
xmodmap -e "KeySym 1 = 1 exclam bar"

Check the settings in these configuration files in your Cygwin directory:

/etc/X11/XF86Config
/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/<your language>

Also look at the mails of Alexander Gottwald in the mail group.

It is a temporal solution though, because I think XFree86 should send
the right keyboard map to the X server in use.

Apart from foreign language keyboard mapping XFree86 seems to me a
stable and well working product.

I have no profound knowledge of X to know how to resolve this otherwise.
  You'll probably find some other commands to map a keyboard. Also the
lack of time to dig into the code and start debugging plays parts.

Regards, Hans.