DDD needs a porter [Was: DDD 3.3.8 segmentation error, related to Motif?]

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Nov 24 01:33:00 GMT 2003

Fred,

Fred Ma wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 Brian Ford <ford at vss dot fsi dot com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 dirk.goethals@alcatel.be wrote:
>>
>>> bt08pm: /usr/X11R6/include/Xm/  ddd --lesstif-version 93
>>>   Warning: This DDD requires a Motif 2.1 library (using Motif
>>>-1617156.-609)
>>
>>Could you post cygcheck `type ddd`?
>>

>>> bt08pm: /usr/bin/  ddd --configuration
>>>   GNU DDD 3.3.8 (i686-pc-cygwin)
>>>   Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany.
>>>   Copyright (C) 1999-2001 Universität Passau, Germany.
>>>   Copyright (C) 2001 Universität des Saarlandes, Germany.
>>>
>>>   Compiled with GCC 3.2 20020927 (prerelease)
>>
>>Why not the current Cygwin gcc?
>

> I'm having similar problems trying to build ddd-3.3.8 immediately
> after update cygwin (1.5.5-1) and all components.  This includes
> lesstif 0.93.91-4, Xfree86-lib-compat 4.3.0-2, and XFree86-prog
> 4.3.0-2.  The last two are what comes up on a search for libXt in
> Cygwin's Setup Package Search.  The "configure" output also
> claims  "Motif...libraries in default path, headers in default
> path".

XFree86-prog-4.3.0-2 is ancient.  XFree86-prog-4.3.0-12 is the current
release:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2003-11/msg00005.html

libXt refers to the static Xt library; the new shared Xt library isn't
called libXt, so you won't find it in a package search for the new
versions.  It is best if you just run setup.exe and let it automatically
select packages that have new versions.

With that being said, if you are successfully compiling ddd and still
have the same problem, then you have proven that the problem has nothing
to do with the shared Xt library, since your are linking against the
static Xt library that is distributed with XFree86-prog-4.3.0-2.

> The reason gcc-3.2 is used is because the most recent (I believe
> it's 3.3.x) causes fatal link errors during the "make" step.  The
> suspected cause that I've read is that some cygwin components are
> built with gcc-3.2.
>
> The exact error happens when I run "make check":
>
>    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/fmadmin/INSTROOT/ddd-3.3.8/ddd'
>    MALLOC_CHECK_=2 \
>    DDD_HOME=./.. \
>    XUSERFILESEARCHPATH=%N XAPPLRESDIR=. \
>    ./ddd.exe  cxxtest.exe
>    Warning: This DDD requires a Motif 2.1 library (using Motif -6281.-729)
>    Continue at own risk.
>
>    Internal error (Segmentation fault).
>
>    Oops!  You have found a bug in DDD.
>
>    If you can reproduce this bug, please send a bug report
>    to <bug-ddd@gnu.org>, giving a subject like

I said before that there appear to be flags that tell ddd that it is
being compiled and linked against LessTif instead of Motif.  Either
these flags don't exist (as the emails that I found suggest), or you
guys aren't trying them if they do exist.  If they do exist, then that
should at least get you closer to a working ddd.

I have now realized something that should have been said from the start:

DDD needs a porter

Somebody needs to take it upon themself to port DDD and make appropriate
fixes to make it work on Cygwin/X.  This has not been done to date, as
far as I can recall, and it is likely to need to be done before ddd will
"just work".  I don't see a lot happening with DDD until someone steps
forward to port it properly.

We can all continue to offer tips, but I don't think we are going to get
anywhere.