startx problem on Win-XP

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Nov 24 15:26:00 GMT 2003

Chuck,

Charles E. Cooper wrote:

> I've also been struggling to get a useable windows system.
> I use cygwin to log into Sun systems.
>
> I tried the startxwin.bat method and get a window up, but it won't let
> me redirect remote windows back to my Windows platform.

If you are doing this via telnet or ssh without the "-X" parameter, then
you need to run "xhost remotemachine_ip_or_dns_name" to allow
connections from that machine to your local X Server.

This method is not secure and is not recommended, but here is how to do
it if you really want to know:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-telnet

>         I then ssh into the sun machine
>         setenv DISPLAY machinename:0.0
>         textedit filename

That is silly.  ssh supports "tunneling" X apps, which sends them over a
secure and optionally compressed (with the "-C" parameter) channel.
Here is how to use it:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh

> as I can do when I use "startx"
>
> I basically don't like the "twm" window manager, but haven't figure out
> how to start something better.

You really need to use startxwin.bat... it uses the "multi-window window
manager" by default, which uses Windows as the window manager.  Here is
how to use startxwin.bat:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting-bat

Finally, run setup.exe again and make sure that you have the latest
packages.  Let setup.exe determine what has been updated and let it
install whatever it selects automatically.