startx problem on Win-XP

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Nov 24 16:53:00 GMT 2003

Charles E. Cooper wrote:

> OK, my excitement has dwindled.
> I tried used "textedit" remotely and the cursor is non-functional in the
> remoted display.
> I can't edit or scroll without the cursor.
>
> to summarize what I'm doing:
>         xhost + machinename
>         ssh -X -l username machinename
>
> when logged into machinename
>         setenv DISPLAY localmachinename:0.0
>         textedit filename &

You need to read the instructions I sent you:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh

Do not assume that you should add steps of your own.  The instructions
list exactly which steps must be taken; anything left out is left out
for a very good reason (i.e. it is not needed).

The "xhost" step is not needed when using "ssh -X".

The "setenv" step is not needed when using "ssh -X".

Note that neither of these steps is in the instructions at the page above.