Compiling SNNS (Stuttgart Neural Network Simulator) or using v.4.2 binaries

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Nov 25 14:15:00 GMT 2003

Lou,

Lou Cyphre wrote:

> Did anybody recompiled successfully SNNS 4.2 with Cygwin/X?
> Its home page is at
>   http://www-ra.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/SNNS/
>
> I firstly tried using SNNS 4.2 binaries with latest Cygwin/X as
> X-server, but something wasn't working in the user interface (couldn't
> select some menu list entries), so I decided to get sources at
>   http://www-ra.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/downloads/SNNS/SNNSv4.2.tar.gz
> and try recompile them.
>
> Beside a few #define missing (that I properly fixed) seemed that the
> configure
> script was running fine, infact I can run the application, and now all the
> menu lists do work, but... when loading even an example configuration
> file I
> get syntax errors in file, and after some clicks, trying opening other
> windows, crashes.

Are you running Cygwin with binary mode mounts or did you change the
default to text?  Send in the output of the "mount" command run in a
Cygwin bash shell.  I would suspect that SNNS expects UNIX-style
end-of-line characters and would thus be confused by DOS-style
end-of-line characters.  Poor coding could lead to a crash as well.