Can Not Install Font Packages

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Oct 20 20:33:00 GMT 2003

Igor,

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> There are mounts, and there are mounts.  If the user creates her own mount
> for the fonts directory, it's her responsibility to remove the mount after
> uninstalling.  However, the only purpose of this particular mount created
> by the postinstall package is to force binmode for the fonts directory.
> I don't see anything wrong with removing this mount before the files
> themselves are removed (especially since it's going to be re-created later
> by the postinstall script).

Understood.

> You're right that in this particular case the preremove scripts would not
> have been run, so there's no point in targeting it.  I believe in cleaning
> up after postinstall scripts, though, and preremove scripts are the right
> place to do it.

Agreed.

> FWIW, my quick-and-dirty idea was basically to have each
> font package postinstall script create a uniquely named file in a known
> location, and each preremove script remove its corresponding file and then
> check whether any other files exist, and if not, umount.

Hmm... I suspected that your quick-and-dirty idea was to troll
/etc/preremove and make sure that we are the only XFree86 fonts script
that has a .sh extension instead of an .sh.done extension.  Is that a
little too quick-and-dirty, or is there some reason to have a defined
location for these magic files?

> I think for setup to detect when a mount is stale would be a good idea
> anyway.  Currently, AFAIK, setup doesn't have a notion of "failing to
> install a package" with subsequent reinstall, but if it ever does, this
> would be the right way to handle the situation.

Cool, although IANACSD (I am not a Cygiwn setup developer), so that is
about as far as I am going to go with the idea :)