XFree86 for cygwin installation hanging

Paul Thomas paulthomas2@wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 27 18:04:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have been trying to load XFree86 for Cygwin, using the Cygwin web
installation.  I have a Compaq Athlon 1700 based machine, running
Windows XP home edition.

Cygwin itself is fine.  All components run perfectly, except XFree86 and
anything that depends on it.  The download ends in a message that it is
unable to find file ""; pressing OK gets the installation underway but
it then hangs at varying points in the installation.  I have uninstalled
before each attempt. Also, when I shut down Windows, the post-install
programme is still running and has to be stopped.   Invoking XWin, with
any combination of arguments results in the background coming up but
nothing else.

What should I do?  Try downloading and installing from hard disk?

Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give me.

Paul Thomas