partnership with the Xouvert project?

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Oct 29 04:02:00 GMT 2003

Jonathan,

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> Hi Harold.

Hello, hello.

> My name is Jonathan Walther, and I am the coordinator for the Xouvert
> project.  I read your post on Slashdot yesterday, and it looks like you
> are responding to some of the same frustrations and desire for change
> that inspired the Xouvert project.
>
>    http://xouvert.org
>
> Xouvert is using arch instead of CVS.  We aren't doing this lightly; we
> see a clear benefit to it.  One of the benefits is it's revision control
> discipline is more natural and makes it vastly easier to have a wide
> diversity of "branches" going at once, keeping in sync with each other.

Hmm... I have been looking into Xouvert since it keeps getting mentioned
to me... but I still can't find anything that indicates that arch works
(or would be easy to make work) on Cygwin.  Could others please check
the status on arch on Cygwin?

> We would love to incorporate your changes, and give you and anyone you
> delegate full commit access to our revision control tree.  Would you be
> interested in partnering with our project?  I think we can both provide
> each other with a lot of positive benefits.
>
> No action is required on your part, Xouvert is working on our first
> release which should be soon.  Like you, we are starting with XFree86
> 4.3 as our base.  We believe once you go through the arch tutorial, you
> also will be sold on it's benefits for projects like ours.

I'm sure it has benefits, but it has to compile to be useful :)

Waiting for status of arch on Cygwin report...