Updated: xfig-3.2.4-4 and xfig-lib-3.2.4-4

Thu Oct 30 05:46:00 GMT 2003

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> 2) Consolidate the packages into xfig-lib (graphic symbols library),
> xfig (everything else).

When you remove packages completely, you need to provide a compatibility
  package that has the same name but higher version number.  That way,
setup.exe will Do The Right Thing:

1) update obsolete package xfig-etc (or whatever)
    --- remove xfig-etc(old version)
    --- install xfig-etc(new version)

2) update xfig
    --- remove xfig(old)
    --- install xfig(new == consolidated)

But setup reshuffles this into remove and install:

1) remove xfig-etc(old version)
    remove xfig(old)
2) install xfig-etc(new version => empty, so this is a no-op)
    install xfig(new == consolidated)

And everything Just Works.  If you DON'T do that, then setup.exe would
just update xfig -- but both xfig-etc(old) and xfig(new) would claim to
"own" the files that were consolidated into xfig(new).

So, compatibility packages.  (Now, it's possible that setup.exe could
[does?] support conflicts: and obsoletes: keywords, in which case that's
a better solution than compat pkgs.  Ask Robert...)

Me, since I'm paying attention, I'll just do it manually: setup->remove
all currently installed xfig-related packages, and then setup->install
just the new pkgs.  But not everybody pays attention -- or reads these
little announcements.

--
Chuck