Server crashes when snes9x.exe is started

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Oct 30 23:17:00 GMT 2003

Frédéric,

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> As soon as I start snes9x.exe 1.41-1 (a Super Nintendo emulator
> - http://www.snes9x.com/) the server crashes with the
> following:
>
> xinit:  connection to X server lost.
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 10719 requests (10623 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 81713 requests (81698 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>
> [1]+  Done                    startx
>
> Is this a bug ? Are any applications supposed to make XWin.exe
> crash ?

Not a known bug.  No application should cause XWin.exe to crash.

I tried this on my system (Win XP Pro SP1a + all latest patches) and
could not reproduce the problem.

I tried it with both -multiwindow (uses GDI engine) and with
-nodecoration -lesspointer (uses DirectDraw engine).  Neither crashed
when snes9x.exe was launched.

Try the above two tests as I did.

Have you already loaded a ROM in snes9x.exe?  Does it cache this and try
to load it on the next startup?  If so, perhaps that is causing the
problem.  I do not have any ROMs, so I cannot test that further.

Try starting with startxwin.bat instead of startx.  You could actually
be seeing a crash in one of the sub-apps launched by xinit, which might
be causing the server to be killed.  Please send in /tmp/XWin.log from
one of these crashes as well.