Running remote programs locally

Andrew Clarke spam@clarke.ca
Mon Sep 1 01:57:00 GMT 2003

Aaah, OK.  That's what I assumed but when I tried it on 2 lines it
didn't work for me.  I think the issue was that I was using bash which
I'm not so familiar with and set my environment variable incorrectly.
Just did it from my familiar and exciting tcsh and it all works fine and
makes sense.

- Andrew.

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Harold L Hunt II
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 18:42
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Running remote programs locally

You don't set them on the same line.  He was typing in short-hand.  What

he meant was:

export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
ssh -X linuxcomputer

Now, you will notice that following the directions in the Cygwin/XFree86

User's Guide (which says to do this in an xterm) does not require
setting DISPLAY at all.  The reason for this is that the xterm already
has DISPLAY set (or else it wouldn't have been able to connect to the X
Server in the first place).  So, doing this from an xterm drops a step
from the instructions and makes it a little more fool-proof.

Hope that helps,

Harold