Xwin stackdump while logging into RH8 with KDE as window manager

Joel Rosi-Schwartz Joel.Rosi-Schwartz@Etish.org
Wed Sep 3 16:50:00 GMT 2003

  Hi,

I have spent the last couple of days trying to sort this out and I am
stumped.

I have a new machine that I am trying to get XFree up and running on. I
already have XFree working just fine on 3 other workstations; these have
been running fine for the past year and I have kept them updated with
the latest release of cygwin/xfree every month or so. All of the
machines are running win2k sp3, cygwin 1.3.22(0.78/3/2) and xfree 4.3.9.

When I started putting this together the server was Red Hat Linux 8.
Today I upgraded it to RH 9.0 but my problems persist.  I have the XDMCP
running on the server and calling startx on the new workstation brings
up the window server and the login box. If I login using KDE as the
display manager XWin dumps core when KDE is about half way through it's
initialization sequence. If I select Gnome as the display manager
everything works fine. My guess is that this has something to do with
the video setup on the new box, but I can not say what or where.

I have since discovered that if I remove my ~/.kde directory the login
succeeds, but of course I loose two years of fine tuning my desktop.

Oh, and by the way, yes I have thoroughly checked the disk that I only
have one copy of cygwin1.dll ;-)

Is there anything else I can send that will help diagnose this? Anything
else I might try doing?

Tia,
- joel