cygwin 1.5.3-1

Ralf Habacker Ralf.Habacker@freenet.de
Fri Sep 5 08:47:00 GMT 2003

> Ralf --
>    What happens when you run your cygipc-based build of X11, but do not
> have the ipc-daemon running?  You can't run KDE, of course, but does the
> Xserver itself still work properly?  Can non-KDE X apps work?

Xfre has build in support for disabling XIT-SHM support in cases the kernel does
not support it.
See http://www.atomised.org/docs/XFree86-4.2.1/shm_8c-source.html

xc/programs/Xserver/xext/shm.c
<snip>

void
ShmExtensionInit()
{
    ExtensionEntry *extEntry;
    int i;

#if defined(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__)
    if (!CheckForShmSyscall())
    {
	ErrorF("MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support\n");
	return;
    }
<snip>

Because the cypipc produces a valid return code ENOSYS in cases the ipc-daemon isn't available,
see http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg00136.html, there is only a simple checker functions needed to check the state of the ipc-daemon and enable/disable shm functions.

The appended patch implemented this support for the xfree server.

See the result:

cd ~/src/xc/programs/Xserver
$ killall ipc-daemon
$ ./XWin.exe &