Error:Can't open display:

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Sep 6 00:36:00 GMT 2003

Lucy,

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Garcia, Lucy wrote:

> I have been trying to get ddd working and I think my problem is with x,
> however I am not sure.  When I try to run ddd I get the following error.
> Error:Can't open display:
> So I tried numerous things and I finally think I got X running (because I
> saw an X in my icon bar.)
> when I double clicked the default startxwin.bat.  So I looked in the file
> and found out that it tries to open an xterm.  I don't ever get an xterm.  2
> boxes flash to the screen and I see the X icon in my lower right icon bar.
> Could someone suggest something please?  Even when I have the X icon
> running, I get the same message from trying to run ddd.  I tried to 'set
> DISPLAY=0:0.0' in a bash shell and then rerun ddd but I still get the same
> error. Although I run env and I don't see DISPLAY as an environment
> variable.

In bash you need to export the variable.  Plus, the value you're using is
wrong.  Try

  export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

and then start ddd.

> I have bash2.05, cygwin 1.5.3-1, and XFree86-base 4.3.0-1.  In addition,
> when I run cygcheck -c the line for XFree86-base says that the version
> 4.3.0-1 is Incomplete.  I have reinstalled all of the Xfree things from the
> cywin installation today without much luck in changing the status of the
> XFree86-base line in cygcheck.

This one's my fault.  Basically, XFree86-base is an empty package,
therefore no manifest (file list) is generated for it.  Cygcheck doesn't
find this package, so it complains (as you'll see if you pass the "-v"
flag to cygcheck).  When I wrote that part, I thought the missing file
list is an abnormal situation.  Turns out I was wrong.

In other words, please ignore this status for the XFree86-base package.
I'll try to get a fix for this into the next Cygwin release.

> Please help!
> Thank You!
> Lucy Garcia

Hope this helps,