Building XWin.exe

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 02:48:00 GMT 2003

I've recently been motivated to tinker a bit with compiling XWin.exe on my
own.  After reading through the "Obtaining the Source Code" and "Native
Compiling" sections of the Contributor's Guide, I'm left with the following
question ...

Do I rally need to download and build all of XFree86?  Can't I just download
the Xservers branch of the source tree, run "xmkmf -a" to generate the
Makefiles and dependencies, and then compile just the XWin target?

[Note: I already know that for xmkmf to work I'll need the XFree86-lib and
XFree86-prog packages, and perhaps 1 or 2 others.]