[Fwd: Send loss of focus notification when changing focus to a Windows app?]

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Sep 24 19:25:00 GMT 2003

Jean-Claude,

Yes, I know what you are talking about.

The short answer is that it can be done.

In fact, it is already done in MultiWindow mode.  It was easy to do in
MultiWindow mode because our application is the window manager so
sending ourself a message to say "remove the focus from the current
window" is easy.  However, doing this for Rootless mode would be (off
the top of my head) harder (at least from the standpoint of having to
lookup how to do this in a manual somewhere) because we have to send a
message to the currently running window manager application saying to
set the focus to the root window (I think).

So, it can be done.

You didn't get a response because I like to give more precise responses
than the above and I have not had time to lookup the information that I
talked about above in various manuals to see if I am actually correct or
not.

You would be much more likely to get this feature if you look in the
ICCCM (Inter-Client Communications Conventions Manual) and in window
manager documentation to see how to send a message to set the focus to
the root window.  I might be able to implement the feature in a few
minutes with that information.  Otherwise, it will have to wait a while.

Harold