-multiwindow mode, clipboard primary selection & window icon

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Sep 26 22:26:00 GMT 2003

Eric,

Eric Masson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Setup :
> Windows 2000 SP4
> XFree86 4.3.0-13
>
> I'm facing the following problem when displaying a remote app on my
> laptop.
>
> When I launch XEmacs, the window upper left icon is sometimes set to
> XEmacs one but most of the times to the default X one.

Sounds to me like most of the time the MultiWindow window manager
(-multiwindow) and the integrated clipboard manager (-clipboard) are
failing to startup.  This causes the icons to be left as the default
icon, and it means that the clipboard integration between X and Windows
is not present.

> When the icon is set to XEmacs, I can't select text with mouse or
> keyboard (pc-select), it's automatically unselected.

In this case the clipboard integration manager and MultiWindow window
manager *are* working and the behavior you are seeing with the selection
becoming unselected is by design.  Changing that design has been on the
To-Do list for some time, but it will take roughly 40 hours to finish
the work that was started on it.

> When the icon is set to X, text selection works fine.

You need to look at /tmp/XWin.log in both of these cases.  Better yet,
send in the contents of /tmp/XWin.log for each instance.  This will help
us figure out why the window manager and clipboard integration manager
are failing to startup.

Also, please send in the command-line parameters that you are passing to
XWin.exe.