Xfree86 is slow! with software like MATLAB

Milos Komarcevic mk329@cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 27 17:19:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 23:29, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> g.macaulay@niwa.co.nz wrote:
>
> > does not show such a marked difference. One point of difference is that the
> > Matlab GUI is written entirely in Java, while the other program uses GTK.
>
> With Swing (JFC)? Swing is the most stupid GUI I've ever seen. It draws all
> components to a local buffer and transfers these buffers as bitmap to the
> xserver. Most likely this transfer is much slower than a simple "draw a gray
> rect at 127,86" and "draw text at 129, 88" as GTK and any other "normal"
> X11 does its drawing.

Don't know much about toolkits, but even xfig (or LyX) for Cygwin runs
slow locally on Cygwin/XFree86 in comparison to XWin32, so I think
Harold is 100% on it with the Native GDI engine (no speed issues when
run in rootless+twm)

Best regards to all,

Milos