Setup 2.358 Hangs During Post-Install Script

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Sep 30 05:29:00 GMT 2003

Jerry,

Jerry James wrote:

> Igor wrote:
>

>>The XFree86-bin-icons package is buggy.  It's basically a postinstall
>>script that tries to create icons for the X programs that are installed on
>>your machine.  The problem is that it tries to create them in the Start
>>Menu for "All Users" without checking whether the current user can write
>>to it.  I'm not quite sure why it hangs for you, but you can try running
>>that script manually via "bash -x" and seeing where it hangs.  If you do
>>investigate, please post your findings to the cygwin-xfree list.
>

> I had the same problem, but when I ran the script manually, it worked
> without complaint.  I just now tried to upgrade to the latest released
> packages, including the upgrade to XFree86-bin-icons 4.3.0-4 from
> 4.3.0-3.  The *uninstall* process hung.  When I ran the script manually,
> it said:
>
> rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Editors
> rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Games
> rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Information
> rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Tools
> rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Toys
> rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86
> rmdir: `/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86': Permission denied
> rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86
>
> And then it exited, so I'm guessing it was Setup (version 2.415) itself
> that hung.  The bit about permission denied is nonsense, since I am
> logged in as Administrator.  What is true is that that directory was not
> empty, since many X packages did not need upgrading at that time.
> However, I have no idea if that had anything to do with the hang.

The permission denied is not nonsense... it is a catch-all that happens
to be correct in this case.  Check the change log for
XFree86-bin-icons-4.3.0-4... it specifically mentions that we had to
stop trying to remove the top folder while 'find' has a lock on the top
folder.  That lock is what causes the 'permission denied' error: you are
not allowed to delete files that are locked (in use), no matter what
your privilege.  The new version fixes that problem.

In any case, setup shouldn't even care if the script returns an error or
not... setup shouldn't be hanging just because the script gives an error
but finishes okay.  However, I don't think that this error is what is
causing setup to hang.  It will likely be some time before this is fully
understood.