Cygwin/X11 forwarding ques.

Rosenstrauch, David david.rosenstrauch@csfb.com
Thu Apr 1 16:21:00 GMT 2004

I think I know the answer to this already, but thought I'd check to make sure.
(I googled first, but didn't find anything.)

I know how to use X11 forwarding with Cygwin so that I can have GUI apps from
my Linux box run remotely on my Windows box.

Is is possible, though, to do the opposite:  i.e., use X11 forwarding to have
GUI apps from my Windows box run remotely on my Windows box?

I'm assuming the answer is no, since Windows apps aren't X Windows apps, but
thought I'd check just in case.

I actually tried this as an experiment:  started up Cygwin's sshd on the win
box and did an "ssh -X" into it.  I was able to ssh in - and even "launch" an
app (notepad).  Problem was, of course, that notepad opened on the Windows
box, and not remotely on the Linux box.

Anyway, if there's any way to do something like this, please let me know.

Thanks,

DR

P.S.  Yes, I already know about VNC and the like.  But I want to run
individual Windows apps remotely, not the whole desktop.