Computer upgrade complete and a nice biography treat

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Apr 2 03:49:00 GMT 2004

I've been meaning to inform the list that I was able to purchase an
Athlon XP 2100+ for my system and it works great.  Unfortunately, the
low price of $50 that I was seeing was for a Thoroughbred chip while I
needed a Palomino which ended up costing my $90.  Thankfully the chip
worked and my build times are down over 30% from my Athlon 1.2 GHz; the
CPU is still pegged at 100% during builds so I know the speed is not
being limited by memory throughput or hard drive throughput.  A friend
built the entire Cygwin/X distribution on his Pentium 4 2.8 GHz machine
in just over 45 minutes; my relatively cheap upgrades have gotten me a
65 minute build time, which is great for me.

Before I spoil the rest of the story, I was going to take some pictures
of my upgraded system, and instead ended up doing a sort of mini
biography of myself and my toys:

http://msu.edu/~huntharo/bio/

Check it out, I hope you enjoy all of the pictures... oh yeah, there is
a picture of me for all of you that are just starving to know what I
look like after all of these years.  ;)