Problem with truetype fonts caused by not building FreeType module?

Lev S Bishop lev.bishop@yale.edu
Thu Apr 8 15:58:00 GMT 2004

Harold wrote:
> Now you are getting somewhere... the implication of "BuildFreeType NO"
> is that you are going to use the installed version since we set
> "HasFreeType YES", but this does not appear to be the case. We'll either
> have to fix the build rules or just set BuildFreeType to YES but not
> actually include it in our distribution, just as we do for Xft.

I think you have the wrong idea about FreeType backend. My understanding
is that this is one of the modules which implement server-side truetype
(the other being X-TrueType, the "xtt" module - only one of the two is
allowed, and X-TrueType is scheduled for demolition in the next release).
It's built *around* the FreeType library (which is what we say we have by
asserting "HasFreeType YES"...) but it's not the same thing as having the
library. I think all we need to do is set BuildFreeType to yes - the
resulting module gets statically linked into libXfont.a (rather than being
a loadable module, as it would be in many other X servers, since we don't
do loadable modules on cygwin/x), and from there gets linked into XWin.exe
and xfs.exe (I understand xfs.exe is currently non-functional, though),
and perhaps some other places?

I could be wrong about all this but the release notes seem to back me up:
http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.7.0/doc/RELNOTES6.html#41

Lev