ttmkfdir no longer needed

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker@freenet.de
Mon Apr 12 10:24:00 GMT 2004

On Saturday 10 April 2004 03:09, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> It looks like we no longer need ttmkfdir in order to expose the fonts
> installed with Windows to X11.  The mkfontscale utility that is included
> with out distribution was inspired by ttmkfdir and essentially replaces it:
>
> http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.7.0/doc/mkfontscale.1.html
>
> You can do something like the following right now (well, not with Cygwin
> 1.5.9 since mkfontscale will core dump, you have to use snapshot of
> cygwin1.dll for the moment):
>
> 1) mkfontscale /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/Fonts
>
> 2) mkfontdir /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/Fonts
>
> 3) Launch Cygwin/X
>
> 4) In a bash shell under Cygwin/X, run:
>
>     xset fp+ /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/Fonts
>
> 5) Run xfontsel and observe that picking 'microsoft' from the 'rgstry'
> category exposes 'microsoft sans serif', 'tahoma', and 'verdana' among
> others under the 'fmly' category.  Note also that valid chartacters
> appear when you select these fonts.
>

> Due to this I am going to pull the link to ttmkfdir from our 'Ported
> Software' page.  Perhaps someone would like to write a postinstall
> script that creates symlinks to the Fonts folder for Windows under
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/windows,

> then runs mkfontscale and mkfontdir in
> that folder (since we can not guarantee that we have permissions to
> create files in the actual Fonts folder for Windows).  Then it would
> take a minor adjustment of our startup scripts to pass this additional
> font folder to Cygwin/X on startup.

One note: In the thread "proposal for using windows truetype fonts" I
suggested to use the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype dir for truetype
fonts, because this is the default for qt and kde. Are there any
objectivities using this instead of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/windows ?

> Any takers?
I'm not very a experted x user, so that I can check up if there is more work
required, but as a start point this should work:

#!/bin/sh
ttfontdir=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/windows
# uncomment for enabling qt and kde like truetype font dir
#ttfontdir=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype
mkdir $ttfontdir
lndir $WINDIR\\Fonts $ttfontdir
mkfontscale $ttfontdir
mkfontdir $ttfontdir

btw. I've got one error while testing this
$ mkfontscale /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype
Couldn't get family name for /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/MARLETT.TTF

Does this give any problems ?

> I'll package it if somebody works the kinks out of it.

for syn with the above mentioned thread - in which package this script will go
- In the freetype, xfree font  or a new package ?

Ralf