mysql command line client hangs in cygwin xterm

Richard Piper rpiper@med.usyd.edu.au
Wed Apr 28 15:38:00 GMT 2004

On looking into this, it seems that mysql including its client is
compiled with cygwin. It is an old version, and this may explain the
problem.

I will look into this further, when I get a chance to download the
"beta" version of mysql, which I assume is compiled against a more
recent version of the cygwin.dll.

Richard

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:47:59AM +1000, Richard Piper wrote:
 >The problem seems to be well described in the general cygwin mailing
 >list.  As yet I have not seen a solution.
 >
 >http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg01457.html

Yeah, that was an interesting email.  It was nice to see that someone
agreed with my assessment of the problem.  It is always a relief to hear
that I do know what I'm talking about from people who don't quite know
what they are talking about.

As I mentioned, the easiest solution is to always use cygwin built
programs if you want to run a program on a cygwin pty.

The logic that there had to be a solution to this problem because it
affects so many programs did escape me, though.  I'd be very happy to
see someone find a way to fool programs into thinking they are running
on a console when they are using a cygwin pty but the fact that it is a
serious problem doesn't mean that there is automatically going to be a
solution to the problem.

cgf
--
Richard Piper

Web: http://icu.rnsh.org
Mobile: 0438-120860
Sydney: 9926-8617
Kippax: 6550-5117
Email: rpiper@med.usyd.edu.au

GPG key ID: F6DFFB33 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
Key fingerprint: 3FB8 8355 3AAA 84C3 D548  8FFF EFDB C6B5 F6DF FB33