setenv DISPLAY

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:19:00 GMT 2004

So you're saying you're doing the "setenv DISPLAY" via the SSH terminal
session between steps 2 and 3?

I so, then you're completely circumventing the security provided by SSH
(unless you're doing it intentionally, e.g. you're on a "trusted" network,
or the encyption/decryption of the SSH tunnel is slowing things down too
much).

What you should be doing is using the "X-Forwarding" mechanism of SSH.
Basically, it should go something like this:

1) Launch the Cygwin X-Server, Xwin.
2) From a local xterm, run "ssh -X remote_host"
3) Once you're logged in, echo back the value of "DISPLAY" on the remote
host.  It should look something like ":8", or possibly "remote_host:8".
4) At this point, running "xterm &" should open a client window on the local
X-Server.  You do not need to, and should not, manually set the DISPLAY
variable on the remote host when using ssh.

I suspect that if you change your login script at the remote host such that
it leaves DISPLAY alone, things will start working again.