performance question

Eric S. Johansson esj@harvee.org
Mon Aug 30 01:44:00 GMT 2004

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> There is a section in the FAQ about bad performance. Some ATI drivers or
> programs are known to cause problems. Please check this.

this machine: NVidia Riva TNT model 64
other machine: is indeed some form of ATI. I will need to investigate that.

on this machine, performance still isn't snappy.  Redraws don't take as
long but that's what I expect with a machine that's twice as fast as the
other.  I do not have any forms of personal firewalls or anything else
installed on the stack.  I was deliberately keeping this machine as
naked as possible because background processes that affect X11 also seem
to affect speech recognition performance and accuracy.

one thing I also should have mentioned which is that I am tunneling X11
connections through ssh because the machine I am working on is on my DMZ
which prevents direct connections.  I didn't think to mention this
originally because machines I use on the same network aren't
significantly faster.

---eric