Does anyone else get these blank failed deliveries?

Rob Bell RobDBell@hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 00:33:00 GMT 2004

Chris Green wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 05:29:25PM +0100, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Chris Green wrote:
>>

>>>It's something more subtle than the usual though as it is definitely
>>>only happening when I send mail to the Cygwin/X list, one of these
>>>"Returned mail:" errors for each message I send to the list.
>>
>>Hm. I had did not get the response when sending to the list otherwise I'd have
>>kicked him earlier.
>>

> Well whatever the list owner did it has fixed the problem.

This is a typical mailing list problem that happens with certain mailers
or specific configurations.  When the mailbot receives an error from one
of the mail accounts on the list as it relays your message it will then
pass that error back to you (or maybe the mail server generating the
error just sends it straight back to the you, the sender, because your
address is the originating e-mail account).  This happens on another
list I'm on from time to time when someone's e-mail account has problems
or goes inactive.  It is the same reason you, the sender, can
occasionally get a 'out of office' reply from one of the list members
when you send the list a message.

Rob