Full install on XP hangs at /etc/X11/abb-defaults/Bitmap

Greg Schussman schussman@slac.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 20 06:21:00 GMT 2004

Hi.

I've just tried to do a full install of cygwin/X on Windows XP.  The
install hangs at 90%, saying:

Installing

xorgx-x11-etc-6.8.180.1

/etc/X11/app-defaults/Bitmap

When I look at the file structure, etc/X11/app-defaults  is a file, not
a directory.  Perhaps this is the problem (how can one write to
app-defaults/Bitmap if app-defaults is not a directory)?

But I think this raises several other things which might benefit from
fixing as well.

  1) Instead of hanging, whatever is trying to do this write should be
able to detect that there is a problem and report a meaningful error
message.

  2) It would probably be a good idea to test doing a full install on at
least the most popular operating systems, especially Windows XP.  That
way, this sort of problem doesn't scare away potential new members of
the cygwin/X user base, and doesn't generate negative P.R for the project.

Thanks!

Greg